Photography and Videography Policy
At Locust Grove, we welcome the opportunity to be a picture perfect backdrop or setting. Taking photos and video outdoors for personal non-profit use does not require a fee. For-profit commercial photography/videography and portrait photography require fees as outlined below. The policy and fees below are necessary to ensure that there are no conflicts with ongoing rentals and events and that the site is preserved for future generations to enjoy.
Professional photography and videography at receptions, wedding ceremonies and other private events scheduled through Locust Grove are permitted at no additional fee.
I. Portrait Photography
Portrait photography taken by professional photographers consist of pictures utilizing Locust Grove as a background such as graduation, family, wedding, engagement, prom, senior or similar photos which are not part of a private event such as a wedding ceremony. Professional photographers are given the option to choose between the following:
• An annual Locust Grove Photographer’s Membership Permit, which can be purchased at $200. The Photographer’s Membership Permit also includes the benefits of a Locust Grove Membership.
• A $20 fee by the day.
Annual Photographer’s Membership Permit and Daily Permits may be purchased by contacting Jennifer Jansen at 502-897-9845 or email@example.com . They may also be purchased at the visitor center during hours of operation.
II. Commercial Photography / Video
Photography and video sold for commercial purposes and the use in movies, documentaries, television commercials, brochures, business cards, annual reports, advertising, retail products, websites, model portfolios, promotional projects, music videos or similar profit-making projects must be scheduled in advance and fees will be negotiated independent of the registration. Unless otherwise negotiated, Locust Grove will receive a site recognition in final products.
Coordination for all commercial photography is through Carol Ely, Executive Director, 502-897-9845 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Fees are based on the scope of the project.
Photography and Videography Guidelines
• Advance notification and approval for commercial photography/videography is required to ensure there are no conflicts with scheduled activities.
• Parking is allowed at designated parking areas only.
• Photography is not permitted on the porch or near outbuilding doorways during hours of operation, 10 to 4:30.
• Grounds, structures, walls, and buildings may not be damaged or altered. Do not attach anything to any site structures.
• Furniture on the porch, house shutters and doors may not be adjusted or moved.
• Plants may not be rearranged, cut, moved or handled in any way. Do not attach anything to trees or climb trees.
• Obey all signs on the site, and avoid disturbing areas marked off for new plantings, wet paint, archaeologic digs etc.
• Obey all instructions from Locust Grove staff members
• Animals must be leashed.
• Regular site activities, including tours, programs, and rentals must not be interfered with.
• The photographer/videographer is liable for all damages, expenses and loss.
• Locust Grove reserves the right to limit access to certain areas.
• No alcoholic beverages or smoking.
• Professional photographers and videographers are required to carry their permit at all times.
Locust Grove is a museum and an irreplaceable National Historic Landmark site. People visit from around the world to enjoy and learn about 18th century Kentucky, and your presence should not disturb others’ appreciation or the setting you are using as the background for your own work.
III. Controlled Vehicle (Drone) Policy
The preservation of Locust Grove is our primary concern, but it is also a place for people to connect with nature and the spirit of the people of pioneer Kentucky. For these reasons, Locust Grove prohibits the use of all drones or remote controlled vehicles in the airspace above Locust Grove. Unauthorized use of drones within or above this private land may result in the immediate escort from the property, a potential ban from entry and/or other remedies allowed by law.
A copy of this policy may be found here.
You may view the 2016 Photography Permit Application here. One will be provided to you in person on the day of your visit or you may bring a copy of this application with you in order to purchase a permit. Please call 502.897-9845 or email email@example.com with questions or concerns.